If you plan on working and staying in Tampere, Finland for an extended period of time, you have to officially sort out a few things.
For example, a residence permit allows you to live and work in Finland for longer periods. The Finnish personal identity code, on the other hand, may be required to utilise some local services. On this page you can find all the necessary information to get started in Tampere.

The process and the paperwork may seem frustrating, but these are things that have to be taken care of.
You needn’t worry, as the Tampere immigration services at MAINIO offer their assistance for relocating talents. You can find their contacts behind this link: MAINIO

It is also possible to submit most residence permit applications online and then book a time at the closest Migri office to submit
original documents. You will gain access to Migri’s electronic services as you register as their customer. Click here to redirect: Migri

We recommend taking a look at this Infopankki checklist for immigrants. You may access it by clicking here Infopankki Checklist.

Here are the most essential migration related topics you need to take care of when relocating to Finland. 

You need a residence permit to work, start a business or study in Finland, unless if you are a citizen of the EU, Liechtenstein, Switzerland or the Nordic countries. If you are from these countries, the residence permit is not needed.

If you are an European Union citizen, you can reside or work in Finland for three months without registering your stay. If the duration of your residence exceeds three months, you are required to register your right of residence. Residence permits are handled by the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) and Finnish diplomatic missions abroad.

To obtain a residence permit, you can visit the Finnish Immigration Service service point in Tampere. You can contact the service point to submit a residence permit application, prove your identity or submit additional documents for your pending application.

When you move to Tampere, you must register as a resident in the local register office. Visit the register office’s website for more information.

Contact details:

Local Register Office of Inland Finland, Tampere Unit
Hatanpään valtatie 24
PL 682
33101 Tampere


Tel. 029 553 9003, 029 553 7511 (foreign matters)
Tel. 029 553 9002 (information concerning municipality of residence and moving)
Tel. 029 553 9431 (exchange)
E-mail: info.sisa-suomi(at)

When you go to the local register office, bring along the following:

– identification (e.g., your passport)
– residence permit and residence card (if you need a residence permit for Finland)
– certificate of registration of the right to reside (if you are an EU citizen)
– marriage certificate
– your children’s birth certificates.

Please note that all foreign documents must be legalised. More information about registering as a resident and how to obtain a Finnish personal identity code can be found on Infopankki website. Basic information about registration and legalisation of documents can be found from the Local Register Offices website.

Pirkanmaan TE-toimisto:

For visitors: Pellavatehtaankatu 25, 33100 Tampere. Open Monday to Friday 9.00 – 16.00.

Click here to redirect: TE-services

When you move into a new home permanently, or if your temporary residence in another address lasts for more than three months, you must submit a notification of change of address to the Local Register Office and the Postal services. This notification can be submitted at the earliest one month before the date of your move and must be received at your local register office at the latest one week after your move.

You can submit a notification for yourself and your family members moving with you by using a  web service. You can also call the moving helpline, tel. 0295 535 535, from Monday to Friday between 8am and 4pm. The helpline will give you personal service.

You can also submit the notification using a paper form available at the post offices or your local register office.

If you are moving to Finland, check the Customs website for more information about declaring your removal goods – that is, your personal property that you bring to Finland. Please note that some import restrictions apply. You can also find more information from the Infopankki website.

A Finnish personal identity code is needed among other things for payment of wages and opening a bank account, as well as for using health care services and services provided by the authorities.

When you apply for your first residence permit for Finland, you can apply for a personal identity code at the same time. Further information is available on the Infopankki page Registering as a resident.

The Telephone Health Service and appointment booking for a doctor or a nurse are available at 03 10023 every day between 7 am and 10 pm. Use the area code when calling from a mobile phone or outside the (03) network area.

If you fall ill, please call the Telephone Health Service. The nurse will give treatment instructions, assess what type of care you need and refer you to the correct place of treatment. He or she will also make an appointment with a doctor or nurse for you.

You can discuss questions related to health and your illness with the nurse. The nurse can give you general treatment instructions without a doctor’s appointment. The nurse provides advice and guidance in urgent medical cases. If you so desire, you can obtain information about other social welfare and health services as well as their contact information.

Through the “Kysy sairaanhoitajalta” service, you can ask general questions regarding health and illness online. A nurse employed by the City of Tampere will answer your questions within 24 hours.

More info on Health services in Tampere, click here to redirect.

More information about healthcare in Tampere click here to redirect: Health


In case of emergency: Call 112

Click here to read more about the local university hospital TAYS: click here to redirect.

Information on the Police, please click here.

Depending on your personal situation you may be covered by Finnish social security. To Find out more about this visit the KELA website here

Click here to redirect to the Kela website on social security in Finland: Kela Social security

Most insurances in Finland are optional. If you are renting an apartment, sometimes the landlord may require a home insurance. In addition, cars and other motor vehicles also require insurances.

However, you should ensure that you have the appropriate insurances. Insurance makes sure you have the right protection in place in case something should go wrong. You can find information on insurance on the Infopankki page Everyday life in Finland.

There are numerous national and local insurance companies in Finland, of which the largest are If, Pohjola, Fennia, Tapiola, Lähivakuutus, Nordea, Kaleva, Varma and Pohjantähti.

If you are at least 18 years old, you can acquire a Finnish driving licence. If you have a driving licence issued in a Nordic country, an EU member state or an EEA country, the licence is also valid in Finland.

Read more on the Infopankki page Traffic in Finland. Also check Finnish Transport Safety Agency’s validity of foreign driving licences in Finland page.

If you receive a salary or other income in Finland, you must pay taxes. The amount of tax depends on your annual income. The tax office calculates a personal tax percentage for you upon your request.

The tax percentage is typically recorded in a tax card, which you then submit to your employer. Your employer then deducts the right amount of tax automatically from your salary. You can supplement missing taxes later or update your tax percentage if your salary changes, for example.

Read more on the Infopankki page Tax card and contact the tax office if needed.

You will need a bank account in order to handle your day-to-day finances. When opening a bank account, you need a passport or some other official identity card. It is a good idea to compare the services and prices of different banks so that you will find the most advantageous option for you. You can find more information on bank accounts from the Infopankki page Everyday life in Finland.

Depending on your preference, you can get a prepaid subscription or a full mobile subscription with a permanent Finnish phone numbers. You can get prepaid SIM cards from kiosks or supermarkets, such as R-kiosk, and full subscriptions from major operators such as Telia, Elisa or DNA from their service points or online.

The same operators can also provide you with a fixed internet connection to your home. However, sharing your mobile phone’s internet connection to a laptop, for example, is a perfectly good alternative in Finland. Mobile network speeds are fairly good and many mobile phone subscriptions allow for a large or an unlimited amount of internet data traffic. Ask your operator for more information.

Read more about getting a telephone subscription in Finland from the Infopankki page Everyday life in Finland.

Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on linkedin