5 Steps to Help You on Your Way to Employment in the Tampere Region!
These steps are especially targeted for international jobseekers with a degree. The steps include services, events, financial support and other tips to get your career boosted in the Tampere region.
Sign up as a jobseeker online or by contacting your local Employment and Economic Development Agency (TE-Office). Public employment services are targeted to those already living in Finland. Click here to redirect: TE Services Website
Consider also contacting private employment agencies. Look for agencies that will suit your needs and skills and register with one or more agencies.
Find general information about employment in order to understand, what is job search and working life like in Finland.
– InfoFinland´s Find a job in Finland: Click here
– Work stories of graduate internationals in Finland Toissa.fi
– Job-searching and career guide for students of engineering, technology and architecture: Click here
Take time to update your CV and cover letter and adapt it to the job you are applying for.
– Make your profile stand out but keep your CV to two pages and personalized cover letter one page maximum.
– Examples of modern CV templates resume.io
Load your CV to the Talent CV Gallery in order to gain professional visibility among the Tampere based businesses.
Find the best job listing websites that focus on your industry, examples:
Jobs for English Speaking Professionals: workinfinland.fi
Tampere University’s job and internship portal: Aarresaari
Tampere University of Applied Sciences: Y-makers service
Other search engine sites, job boards, company websites, LinkedIn etc.
Strengthen your social media presence
Create a LinkedIn profile if you do not have one yet or if you do, keep it updated.
Introduce yourself on the International HUB Tampere Group LinkedIn page
Find companies (and hidden jobs) on your field of expertise
Explore industry clusters and companies and find major employers: Invest In Tampere Online portal
Search for company related data in Tampere, Finland (In Finnish): Yritystieto Business Tampere.
Explore companies aimed at growth or internationalisation: Tampere Region Growth Monitor 2.0 (Beta)
Other useful links:
Students’ guide to job searching in Finland TEK Työkirja
Attend events to boost your job seeking skills and find events for professional networking. Search information on companies, create a list of potential employers and contact your connections about potential job opportunities.
- Event calendar of local Employment and Economic Development Offices (some events are in English as well)
- TribeTampere.com – Open community for entrepreneurial and startup-minded talents
- Businesstampere.com/events – Browse business events and trainings for companies in Tampere region and take part in events catching your interest!
- HealthHUB.fi – Community and meeting place for Health & Wellbeing co-development
- Tampere.ai ecosystem brings together artificial intelligence expertise and supporting activities in the Tampere region.
- IGDA.fi and Tampere Game Hub – Professional network for game developers
- Tamperehealth.com – A dynamic regional business ecosystem providing partnerships and business opportunities in the Tampere Region.
- Crazytown.fi and MOW Supernova – Attend events held in working communities and business accelerators
- Tamperetradefairs.fi – Attend trade fairs to meet local companies
- Messukeskus.com (Helsinki). Biggest trade show and expo organizer in Finland
- Trade Associations – Business Associations support Finnish enterprises’ internationalization and export activities. They have business expertise in 17 different countries/regions around the world.
- Find other professional networking events on your field of expertise!
In Finland most of the jobs never make it to the job boards. Employers often look for employees through their own networks. You may always contact employers directly, present yourself and inquire after possible vacancies.
Networking is not just taking part in recruitment events. It happens naturally if you are open to meet new people and tell them what you are interested in. So, be active, talk and be engaged!
Consider contacting Small and Medium Size Enterprises (SME’s) in addition to contacting larger businesses. Expand your job search to the entire Pirkanmaa region and discover opportunities in the surrounding municipalities of Tampere as well. Explore industry clusters, search for businesses and find major employers in the Tampere region by using infografic tools: Click here
Familiarize yourself with various support programs and financial assistance that can improve your employment.
TE Office offers a wide range of support in finding jobs or trainings: work try-out, pay subsidy, vocational labour market training, jobseeker’s independent study, apprenticeship training and integration training.
What is work try-out?
A work try-out at a workplace may help you to get your foot in the door. The purpose of a work trial is to clarify your vocational and career choice options or to support you entering the Finnish job market. You will receive the same benefits during the work try-out as you would if you were unemployed, or it may be increased. You may also receive a small compensation for your expenses over the days, which you take part in the try-out. Find out if work try-out could be your stepping stone to the job market: Click here
What is pay subsidy and how to get it?
Contact TE Office to ask your eligibility for a pay subsidy. Pay subsidy means you will be paid according to the applicable collective agreement (or, if no applicable collective agreement exists, a prevalent and reasonable wage for the job in question), but your employer can receive pay subsidies for up to 30%, 40%, or 50% of your pay costs. More information about pay subsidy: Click here
See also TE Office Support for Education and Training: Click here
Business Finland Talent Explorer
Support for companies to hire an expert for gaining new knowledge and expertise to help advance in a new global market. Click here
City of Tampere can support a company financially when hiring an unemployed international jobseeker.
Financial support for a company is 600 €/month for a 6 months period.
The jobseeker has to meet certain criteria. For more information contact The City of Tampere by email email@example.com or by phone 040 806 4332.
More information about “Rekrytointilisä” (in Finnish): Click here
Do you need personal guidance in education or job seeking?
The International Tampere Skills Centre offers:
- personal guidance on working life
- support for the early stages of employment
- assistance and tips for professional networking
- enhanced Finnish language training
- prepping and coaching
- recognition and acknowledgment of professional skills
- general guidance and support
You can become a customer of the International Tampere Skills Centre by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Employment Services on +358 40 801 6581 (Mon-Fri 9: 00-15: 45). Finnish nationality, residence permit or EU-registration is required. Read more about the International Skills Centre by clicking here.
Are you interested in higher education (universities) studies?
Anyone with an immigrant background who is interested in higher education studies (university and university of applied sciences) can contact the Simhe guidance services. Guidance is also given to those who already have a university degree, but are interested in i.e. additional studies or advice on identifying their own competence. You can make an appointment for a guidance discussion or ask questions related to university studies by email to email@example.com. Read more about the Simhe service by clicking here.